Discover a Different Type of Water Adventure
Explore Fiji’s most iconic river on the Sigatoka River Safari. Voted ‘Australasia’s Leading Adventure Tour Operator’, this incredible Fiji experience will see you venturing deep into the heart and soul of the island aboard a custom-built safari jet boat. As you cruise your way up the remarkable Sigatoka River, visit traditional Fijian villages and experience a day in the life of the real ‘kaiviti’ (Fijian).
Departing six days a week from the Coral Coast town of Sigatoka, this half-day tour is perfect for those looking for a taste of authentic Fiji culture.
About the Sigatoka River
The impressive Sigatoka River is the longest river on Fiji’s main island, Viti Levu, running from the hills of the Navosa Province down to the sand dunes in Kulukulu, on the Coral Coast. Historically, the Sigatoka River was the only means of transport from the Fijian coast to the island’s lush interior. The river has also long provided Fiji locals with freshwater mussels, fish, prawns and eels, as well as water for agriculture and drinking.
Today, the Sigatoka River is open to both tourists and locals alike, who flock to the river to witness its natural beauty firsthand, all from the comfort of a custom-built safari jet boat.
The Sigatoka River Safari Experience
Begin your Sigatoka River Safari Experience with a complimentary transfer from your resort to Sigatoka Town. From here, you will enjoy a 17-kilometre scenic drive into the Sigatoka Valley, discovering the fertile area, known as the ‘Salad Bowl’ of Fiji, along the way.
Then, jump aboard the custom-built safari jet boat and start your cruise up the Sigatoka River towards a traditional Fijian village. Along the way, learn about the region’s history, including its cannibal past, and wave to the passing local children.
Upon arrival at the host village, you will be invited into the Chief’s bure to take part in a traditional kava ceremony, before enjoying a tour of the village and a traditional Fijian lunch, freshly prepared by the women of the village. Please note that Sigatoka River Safari strives to visit a different village each day, in an effort to minimise the impacts of tourism in this remote part of the world.
- Mini-coach transfer from your resort to Sigatoka Town and return
- Jet boat safari with Sigatoka spins
- Traditional Fijian kava ceremony
- Village tour & demonstrations
- Tropical Fijian lunch – prepared by the village women
- Sulu (or sarong) for ladies – to be worn in the village
- Tour guide services
- Coach pick up from your resort – 7:45 am OR 12:00 pm
- Depart Sigatoka Town – 8:45 am OR 1:00 pm
- Jet boat up the Sigatoka River – 9:30 pm to 9:45 am OR 1:30 pm to 1:45 pm Arrive at host village and meet the village guide – 10:30 am OR 2:30 pm
- Kava ceremony, village tour, lunch and entertainment – 10:30 am to 12:30 pm OR 2:30 pm to 4:30 pm
- Jet boat back down Sigatoka River – 12:40 pm OR 4:40 pm
- Depart Sigatoka River and return to town for shopping – 1:30 pm OR 5:30 pm
What to Bring
- Camera (with spare batteries!)
- Sunscreen and sunglasses
- Appropriate clothing to visit the village
- Comfortable footwear