Off Road Cave Safari
Culture waits off the beaten track!
Embark on a Fijian adventure down the road less travelled on an Off-Road Cave Safari. Jump in and buckle up in the modern all-terrain vehicle for the journey to the largest cave in Fiji with a stop at the Bete’s (high priest) home. The priest’s family have been the traditional keepers of Naihehe Cave for many centuries and it’s said that if one enters the cave without seeking their blessing first, one will get lost. Your safari guide will present an offer of kava to the priest as a request for his blessing and guidance. Just a short walk away from the family’s home be guided through the historical phenomenon that is Naihehe Cave. Explore the 170m long cave before returning to the priest’s home for a barbecue lunch with fresh fruit and juices.
- Duration: Approximately 5.5 hours (Morning & Afternoon)
- Days of Operation: Monday to Saturday
- Location: Sigatoka
- Best Suited: Guests staying on the Coral Coast, Denarau and Nadi
- Mini-coach transfer from resort to Sigatoka Town and return
- ATV safari on ‘the road less travelled’
- Meet the Bete (high priest) and his family at their home
- Traditional Fijian kava ceremony
- Naihehe Cave Tour guided by the priest and your safari guide
- Barbecue lunch with fresh fruits, snacks and juices at the priest’s home
- Swimming opportunities
- A bottle of water
- Sulu (or sarong) for ladies – to be worn at the priest’s house
- Tour Guide Services
- Coach pick up from your resort – 7:45am OR 12:00pm
- Depart Sigatoka Town – 8:45am OR 1:00pm
- ATV safari through Sigatoka Valley – 9:25am OR 1:30pm
- Arrive at the priest’s house – 10:10am to 12:30pm OR 2:10pm – 4:30pm
- Kava ceremony – 10:10am to 12:30pm OR 2:10pm – 4:30pm
- Naihehe Cave Tour – 10:10am to 12:30pm OR 2:10pm – 4:30pm
- Barbecue lunch at priest’s house [optional] – 10:10am – 12:30pm OR 2:10pm – 4:30pm
- Depart priest’s house – 12:30pm OR 4:30pm
- Return to town for shopping – 1:10pm OR 5:10pm
What to Bring
- Camera (with spare batteries!)
- Sunscreen and sunglasses
- Wear appropriate clothing to visit the priest’s home
- Comfortable footwear
- Most importantly – a sense of adventure!
Days of Operation: Monday to Saturday
AM Tour departs: Sigatoka Town at 8.45am / returns 2.00pm
PM Tour departs: Sigatoka Town at 1.00pm / returns 5.45pm
* Closed Sundays, New Year’s Day, Good Friday, Christmas Day.
Note: Guests must be ready for pick up 10 minutes prior to pick up. Self-drive guests must check into Tappoo Sigatoka at least 15 minutes before departure.
Children: 0-3 years are free of charge, 4-15 years charged at child rate.
Recommend bringing your own snacks for infants and young children for the journey.
Dietary requirements: Please advise if any at time of booking.
Operated by: Sigatoka Safaris
Brief History, Training and Community Work of Sigatoka River Safari’s.
Sigatoka River Safari started as a result of a then 13-year-old Australian, by the name of Jay Whyte who first visited Fiji in 1991, he met his friend Pita Matasau who introduced him to the real Fiji. Pita took Jay & his family high into the Fijian interior to his village of Draiba. It was from this unique, authentic experience that Jay decided other people should discover the Fijian interior. Coming back to Fiji to start his dream in 2006, Jay is always happy to share his passion and ensure that you too experience a “Simply Unforgettable” adventure into the heart of Fiji.
All of Sigatoka River Safari’s jet boat captains were trained by Neil Ross, a pioneer in jet boating in New Zealand with over 25 years of experience in the industry.
The captains including Fiji’s first female Jet Boat Captain who were trained in New Zealand and Fiji and regularly undergo training and also take time to participate in some of New Zealand’s Jet Boating Marathons.
Our goal at Sigatoka River Safari is not to change the way villagers live but to help improve the villagers’ living standards. Therefore, for every visitor into the village, the company contributes directly to the village, and this means these monies go entirely to these remote villages and are used by them in their various village projects.
My Fiji Exclusive Experiences
Discover the My Fiji difference with access to exclusive inclusions like Airport Fast Track, My Fiji Island, and Malamala Beach Club Experience.
View My Fiji Hot Deals
There’s no better way to experience Fiji than with a My Fiji hot deal! Say Bula to flights, transfers, accommodation and more! We offer a range of bonus value inclusions and can guarantee an enhanced family holiday or unique romantic retreat. Whatever’s drawing you to the tropical islands of Fiji, get there in style with a holiday from My Fiji!