Sigatoka River Safari
A different type of water adventure!
Explore Viti Levu’s longest river on a Sigatoka River Safari! Enjoy the 18-kilometre journey from Sigatoka Town into Sigatoka Valley and discover the luscious green environment known as the ‘salad bowl’. Jump aboard the jet boat and cruise along the freshwater passage, waving to local villagers along the way, before arriving at your host village. Enter the village and be welcomed with open arms and big smiles from the local villagers. Meet the village Chief in his home and partake in a traditional kava ceremony before he guides you through a tour of his village. Tantalise your taste buds with a sumptuous tropical Fijian lunch prepared by the women of the village before jumping aboard for the return journey!
- Duration: Approximately 5.5 hours (Morning & Afternoon)
- Days of Operation: Monday to Saturday
- Location: Sigatoka
- Best Suited: Guests staying on the Coral Coast, Denarau and Nadi
- Mini-coach transfer from resort to Sigatoka Town and return
- Jet boat safari with Sigatoka spins
- Traditional Fijian kava ceremony
- Village tour & demonstrations
- Tropical Fijian lunch – prepared by the village women
- Sulu (or sarong) for ladies – to be worn in the village
- Tour Guide Services
- Coach pick up from your resort – 7:45am OR 12:00pm
- Depart Sigatoka Town – 8:45am OR 1:00pm
- Jet boat up the Sigatoka River – 9:30pm to 9:45am OR 1:30pm to 1:45pm
- Arrive at host village & meet village guide – 10:30am OR 2:30pm
- Kava ceremony – 10:30am to 12:30pm OR 2:30pm to 4:30pm
- Village tour, lunch and entertainment – 10:30am to 12:30pm OR 2:30pm to 4:30pm
- Jet boat back down Sigatoka River – 12:40pm OR 4:40pm
- Depart Sigatoka River and return to town for shopping – 1:30pm OR 5:30pm
What to Bring
- Camera (with spare batteries!)
- Sunscreen and sunglasses
- Wear appropriate clothing to visit the village
- Comfortable footwear
Days of Operation: Monday to Saturday
AM Tour departs: Sigatoka Town at 8.45am / returns 2.00pm
PM Tour departs: Sigatoka Town at 1.00pm / returns 5.45pm
* Closed Sundays, New Year’s Day, Good Friday, Christmas Day.
Note: Guests must be ready for pick up 10 minutes prior to pick up. Self-drive guests must check into Tappoo Sigatoka at least 15 minutes before departure.
Children: 0-3 years are free of charge, 4-15 years charged at child rate.
Recommend bringing your own snacks for infants and young children for the journey.
Dietary requirements: Please advise if any at time of booking.
Operated by: Sigatoka Safaris
Brief History, Training and Community Work of Sigatoka River Safari’s.
Sigatoka River Safari started as a result of a then 13-year-old Australian, by the name of Jay Whyte who first visited Fiji in 1991, he met his friend Pita Matasau who introduced him to the real Fiji. Pita took Jay & his family high into the Fijian interior to his village of Draiba. It was from this unique, authentic experience that Jay decided other people should discover the Fijian interior. Coming back to Fiji to start his dream in 2006, Jay is always happy to share his passion and ensure that you too experience a “Simply Unforgettable” adventure into the heart of Fiji.
All of Sigatoka River Safari’s jet boat captains were trained by Neil Ross, a pioneer in jet boating in New Zealand with over 25 years of experience in the industry.
The captains including Fiji’s first female Jet Boat Captain who were trained in New Zealand and Fiji and regularly undergo training and also take time to participate in some of New Zealand’s Jet Boating Marathons.
Our goal at Sigatoka River Safari is not to change the way villagers live but to help improve the villagers’ living standards. Therefore, for every visitor into the village, the company contributes directly to the village, and this means these monies go entirely to these remote villages and are used by them in their various village projects.
There’s no better way to experience Fiji than with a My Fiji hot deal! Say Bula to flights, transfers, accommodation and more! We offer a range of bonus value inclusions and can guarantee an enhanced family holiday or unique romantic retreat. Whatever’s drawing you to the tropical islands of Fiji, get there in style with a holiday from My Fiji!